Beaded Handle Basket
Create a fun spring basket – and fill with cupcakes!
Designed by Craft Marketing Connections, Inc.
- Elmer's® Foam Board - 20" x 30" x 1/2", White
- Elmer's® CraftBond™ Quick Dry Glue Dual Tip Pen
- Elmer's® CraftBond™ All Purpose Glue Stick
- Elmer's® X-ACTO® Designer Series 12" Metal Ruler
- Elmer's® X-ACTO® Designer Series 12" x 12" Self Healing Cutting Mat
- Elmer's® Designer Series Retractable #1 Craft Knife (with new blade)*
- Elmer's® X-ACTO® Designer Series 8" Scissors
- Elmer's® X-ACTO® Designer Series 5" Precision Tip Scissors
- Opaque Paint Marker, Medium Tip, Orange
- 12"x12" Scrapbook Paper, (3) Argyle Pattern, (3) Colored Eggs Patter, (4) Border Pattern - style and color of choice
- 1 Yard, 5/8" Wide Orange Print Ribbon - style of choice
- Stickers - Style and Color of choice
- Wood Beads: Twelve Each: 1" Diameter and 5/8" Diameter
- 21" Lenght of 14-Gauge Silver Wire
- Wood Sandwich Picks (or Toothpicks)
- Green Paper Shreds (or basket filler)
- Low Heat Glue Gun & Glue
- Wire Cutter
- Copy Paper
- Old Newspapers
Use pencil to trace Box pattern four times onto Elmer's® Foam Board. An adult should use X-ACTO® Retractable #1 Craft Knife (with new blade) and Metal Ruler on Self Healing Cutting Mat to cut Foam Board. (Hint: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper, with several passes of the knife. Replace blade often.)
For inside of box, use pencil to trace pattern four times onto "Argyle" paper and use X-ACTO® 8" Scissors to cut out. Position and use CraftBond™ All Purpose Glue Stick to attach papers to Foam Boards. (Wait to cover outside until assembled.)
To assemble box, align panels with foam edge of one panel against paper edge of another, with paper-covered side on inside of box. (Note that foam edges of the two opposite sides will be up against each of the other paper sides, making a more rectangular box.) Working on one corner at a time, an adult should use glue gun to apply glue to foam edge and press into place. Repeat with other corners.
To cut box bottom from Foam Board, set sides-unit on top of Foam Board and use pencil to trace around bottom edge. (Note: Bottom of box is narrower than top.) An adult should use Craft Knife and Metal Ruler on Cutting Mat to cut base. Similarly, use glue gun to apply glue to foam edges on bottom of sides-unit and press onto base.
Trace pattern twice onto plaid side of "Colored Eggs" paper and cut out with Scissors. Position and use Glue Stick to attach paper to two short ends. Place long side of box onto paper. Trace, cut and attach to two long sides.
Use 8" Scissors to trim bunny border from "Border" paper. Apply Glue Stick to border and attach to basket, 1/2" above lower edge. Trim excess border with X-ACTO® 5" Precision Tip Scissors. Similarly cut and glue borders around basket, trimming to fit. Use Quick Dry Glue to attach ribbon top edge of box, trimming with 5" Scissors at corners, overlapping ends.
In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area, spray beads with Flat White as a primer. Spray three large and three small beads with each of the four colors. Let dry.
Gently but firmly push wire through top edge of basket and then opposite side. (Note: Use 5" Scissors to make starter hole through ribbon.) Remove wire and thread beads, alternating colors as desired, on wire. Reinsert wire into holes and ask an adult to use glue gun to secure. (Note: If necessary, before gluing, use wire cutters to trim ends to desired length so that beads are snug against one another.)
Optional: An adult should cut 6 1/2" x 7 1/2" Foam Board for ledge inside basket to hold grass and cupcakes up. For cupcake picks, remove pairs of matching Stickers from Sticker Sheet. Attach stickers, back-to-back, sandwiching pick in between. Repeat to make number of picks desired. Nestle cupcakes into grass and insert cupcake picks.