Big Dipper Hat
Knit this cute hat with Homespun® yarn which is a uniquely textured yarn that works up quickly and easily.
Courtesy of Lion Brand®.
- Lion Brand® Homespun® Yarn – Lagoon (1 Skein) or Color of Choice
- Lion Brand® Double Pointed Needles, Size 8 (5mm, Set of 5)
- Lion Brand® Stitch Markers
- Lion Brand® Large-eyed Blunt Needle
- Circular Knitting Needles, Size 8 (5mm), 16" (40.5 cm) Long
16 sts = about 4" (10 cm) in K2, p2 Rib.
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
1. Hat is worked from lower edge up to crown (top of Hat).
2. Hat is worked in the rnd, beg with a circular needle, then changing to double-pointed needles when sts have been decreased.
3. When knitting in the rnd on double pointed needles(dpns), your sts need to be divided fairly evenly onto the needles. If you are working with a set of four dpn, your sts should be divided among three needles. If you are working with a set of five dpn, your sts should be divided among four needles. The total number of sts will not always be evenly divisible by the number of dpns that you are using – this is not a problem! Simply divide your sts as evenly as possible, you will still create a symmetrical ‘tube’ of knitting.
4. If you prefer, the entire Hat can be worked on double-pointed needles.
With circular needle, cast on 80 sts. Place marker for beg of rnd. Join by working the first st on left hand needle with the working yarn from the right hand needle and being careful not to twist sts.
Ribbing (Worked in K2, p2 Rib)
Rnd 1: *K2, p2; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rep last rnd until piece measures about 10-1/2" (26.5 cm) from beg.
Shape Crown (Top of Hat)
Rnd 1: Change from circular needle to double pointed needles (dpns), as follows: With first dpn, (k2, p2) five times; with 2nd dpn, (k2, p2) five times; with 3rd dpn, (k2, p2) five times; with 4th dpn, (k2, p2) five times. Set the circular needle aside and work with dpns only.
Rnd 2: *K2, p2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 60 sts at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 3: *K2, p1; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rnd 4: *K1, k2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 40 sts.
Rnd 5: *K2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 20 sts.
Cut yarn, leaving along yarn tail. Thread yarn tail through remaining sts and pull to gather. Knot securely.
Weave in ends.
beg = begin(ning)
dpn(s) = double pointed needle(s)
k = knit
k2tog = knit 2together
p = purl
p2tog = purl 2together
rep = repeat
rnd = round
st(s) = stitch(es)
Every effort has been made to produce accurate and complete instructions. We cannot be responsible for variance of individual knitters or crocheters, human error, or typographical mistakes.
©2011 Lion Brand Yarn Company, all rights reserved.