Caron® Santa Hat
Very cute and very soft, this baby Santa hat is just perfect for keeping the little ones in your life warm and festive!
Designed by Kim Guzman
- Caron International's Simply Soft (100% Acrylic): 3 oz (A), 1 oz (B). Shown in Red (A); White (B)
- One size US K-10.5 (6.5 mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- One size US I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook (for hat band only)
- 2"/5cm length of cardboard (for pompom)
- Yarn needle
Hat measures approximately 15 (18)"/38 (45.5cm) circumference.
Note: Hat will stretch to fit a range of sizes.
Caron International's Simply Soft (100% Acrylic): 3 oz (A), 1 oz (B) Shown in Red (A); White (B)
One size US K-10.5 (6.5 mm) or size needed to obtain gauge
One size US I-9 (5.5 mm) (for hat band only)
2"/5cm length of cardboard (for pompom)
In slip stitch, 16 sts and 21 rows = 4"/10cm, with larger hook.
Chain (ch), single crochet (sc), slip stitch (sl st)
1. Hat is crocheted, but produces a fabric that looks knitted.
2. Hat is worked in short rows, which create wedge-shaped sections. A short row is a row worked over a portion of the stitches in the previous row, leaving the remaining stitches unworked.
3. Each right side row is worked from the top of the hat down. Each wrong side row is worked from the lower edge of the hat upwards.
4. Take care to work into the very first stitch (or chain) of each row, unless otherwise instructed.
With larger hook and A, ch 40 (44).
Row 1 (RS): Working in back bars, sl st in each bar across, turn—40 (44) sts.
Note: Work a slip stitch in every back bar, do not skip the first back bar.
Row 2 (WS): Working in back loops only, sl st in each st across to last 3 sts, turn; leave last 3 sts unworked—37 (41) sts.
Row 3: Sk first st, working in back loops only, sl st in each st across, turn—36 (40) sts.
Row 4: Working in back loops only, sl st in each st across to last 2 sts, turn; leave last 2 sts unworked—34 (38) sts.
Rows 5–14: Repeat last 2 rows 5 times—19 (23) sts at the end of Row 14.
Row 15: Repeat Row 3—18 (22) sts.
Row 16: Working in back loops, sl st in each st all the way across, working into the unworked sts of all previous rows, turn—40 (44) sts.
Row 17: Working in back loops only, sl st in each st across, turn.
Rows 18–65 (81): Repeat Rows 2–17, 3 (4) more times.
Rows 66 (82)–80 (96): Repeat Row 2–16, once more.
Fasten off, leaving a 15"/38cm tail for sewing. Weave tail through ends of rows at tip of hat and pull to gather. Tie to secure, then use remaining tail to sew side edges together.
With RS facing and smaller hook, join B with sl st in hat seam.
Round 1: Ch 1, work 40 (48) sc evenly spaced around lower edge of hat; join with sl st in first sc.
Round 2: Ch 1, working in front loops only, sc in each sc around; join with sl st in first sc.
Note: When working Round 3, push the ch-4 loops to the back of the work. The ch-4 loops will appear on the RS of the hat when the band is folded up.
Round 3: Ch 4, sc in same sc as join, (sl st, ch 4, sc) in each sc around; sk beginning ch-4; join with sl st in first sc—40 (48) ch-loops.
Round 4: Ch 1, skipping all ch-4 sps and sl sts, sc in each sc around; join with sl st in first sc. Repeat last 2 rounds 1 (2) more times. Fasten off.
Using yarn needle, weave in ends. Fold band up (sew in place with a few stitches, if desired). Pompom Wrap B around 2"/5cm piece of cardboard, approximately 100 times. Cut yarn and carefully remove strands from cardboard. Tie an 8"/20.5cm length of B around center of strands and tighten. Cut ends of strands (at folds). Trim to even. Tie to top of hat.