Cupcake Design Tips
|Cupcakes are the perfect party solution! Kids love them because everyone gets his or her own fun treat--you’ll love them because they are so easy to decorate. Just use the easy techniques here.|
To Make Balls
Great for balloons, faces, borders and more!
1. Hold tip 3 at a 90° angle to cupcake surface. Squeeze the bag, applying steady even pressure. As the icing begins to build up, raise the tip with it, but keep the tip end buried in the icing.
2. Stop squeezing as you bring the end of the tip to the surface.
3. Lift the tip up and pull away from your piped ball. Use the edge of the tip to shave off any point so that your ball is nicely rounded.
Covering Cupcakes with Swirls
Wilton Tip 1M creates a pretty texture everyone will love.
1. Hold tip 1M at a 90° angle to cupcake surface. Pipe a spiral of icing, beginning at the outer edge and working inward. Stop pressure; pull tip away.
2. Pipe a second spiral on top. End spiral at center. Stop pressure; pull tip away.
To Make Rosettes
Ideal for candleholders and pretty borders.
1. Hold tip 16 at a 90° angle to cupcake surface. The tip direction should start at 9:00 for right handers, 3:00 for left handers. Keep the tip slightly above surface, squeeze out icing to form a star and, without releasing pressure, move the tip in a tight, complete rotation, ending at 9:00 ( 3:00 ).
2. Stop pressure and lift tip away.
To Make Outlines
Balloon strings, messages and decorated shapes all start with this simple technique.
1. Hold any round tip at a 45° angle, touching cupcake surface. Raise tip slightly and continue to squeeze.
2.The icing will flow out of the tip while you direct it along the surface.
3. To end, stop squeezing, touch tip to surface and pull away.