Do Something Sweet: Going Buggy Over You
- Wilton Standard Muffin Pan
- Wilton Tips: 3, 5
- Wilton Hearts Standard Baking Cups
- Wilton Rose Icing Color
- Wilton Black Icing Color
- Wilton Red-Red Icing Color
- Wilton Christmas Red Icing Color
- Wilton Hearts Remembered Petite Icing Decorations
- Black Licorice
- Buttercream Icing:
- 1⁄2 cup Solid Vegetable Shortening
- 1⁄2 cup Butter or Margarine*
- 1 teaspoon Wilton Clear Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Sifted Confectioner’s Sugar (approximately 1 pound)
- 2 Tablespoons Milk**
- *Substitute all-vegetable shortening and 1⁄2 teaspoon Wilton No-Color Butter Flavor for pure white icing and stiffer consistency.
- **Add 3-4 tablespoons light corn syrup per recipe to thin for icing cake.
Combine Red-Red and Christmas Red to produce red shown. In advance, make antennae: Cut licorice into 2 ½ -inch lengths. Attach icing decorations to licorice with buttercream icing. Allow to dry overnight.
Bake and cool cupcakes; ice smooth in buttercream. Using tip 3, outline mouth in black, zigzag fill in and smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch. Using tip 5, pipe whites dots of eyes, pink dot cheeks and red oval nose. Add tip 3 dot eye pupils in black and red outline tongue. Insert antennae. Each serves 1.
Buttercream Icing (makes 3 cups):
Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear
dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
TipsRefer to photo to complete project.
Follow manufacturer's direction for products used.