Do Something Sweet: Not Shy Butterfly
- Wilton Standard Muffin Pan
- Wilton Hearts Remembered Standard Baking Cups
- Wilton From the Heart Nesting Cutter Set
- Wilton Decorator Brush
- Wilton Rose, Red-Red, Christmas Red Icing Colors
- Wilton White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant
- Wilton FoodWriter™ Edible Color Markers, Primary Colors, Fine Tip
- Black string licorice
- Buttercream Icing:
- 1⁄2 cup Solid Vegetable Shortening
- 1⁄2 cup Butter or Margarine*
- 1 teaspoon Wilton Clear Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Sifted Confectioner’s Sugar (approximately 1 pound)
- 2 Tablespoons Milk**
- *Substitute all-vegetable shortening and ½ teaspoon Wilton No-Color Butter Flavor for pure white icing and stiffer consistency.
- **Add 3-4 tablespoons light corn syrup per recipe to thin for icing cake.
Make butterfly in advance.
Tint fondant red (combine Red-Red and Christmas Red to produce shade shown), rose and reserve white.
Attach fondant pieces together using a damp brush. Make wings using rose fondant. Cut out 2 hearts using smallest cutter.
Trim ½ -inch off pointed ends. Using white fondant, shape 12 bead shapes 3/8-inches long.
Attach two beads together to form heart and attach to wings. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted surface.
Make body using red fondant: Roll a log 1 ½ -inches long x ½ -inch diameter. Roll a 5/8-inch diameter head, attach. Cut two ½ -inch long pieces of licorice and insert into head; roll two 1/8-inch balls and attach to ends of licorice. Let dry overnight.
Bake and cool cupcakes; ice smooth in white buttercream. Position wings; draw facial features on butterfly with black FoodWriter and position between wings. Each serves 1.
Buttercream Icing (makes 3 cups):
Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
TipsRefer to photo to complete project.
Follow manufacturer's direction for products used.