Felted Baby Booties
Knit and felt these adorable slippers for the special baby in your life. Made with Patons® Classic Wool, these slippers will keep baby warm and comfortable.
Designed by Patons® Design Team
- Patons® Classic Wool (3.5 oz / 100g) 1 Ball of #00202 Aran
- Pair of size 5mm (U.S. 8) Knitting Needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- Set of four size 4.5mm (U.S. 7) Double-Pointed Knitting Needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- Size 3.5mm (U.S. E or 4) Crochet Hook
- Tapestry Needle
To fit foot length: 4¼-inches [11cm] (To fit size 12 - 18 months).
19 sts and 25 rows = 4-inches [10cm] with larger needles in stocking st.
beg = beginning
inc = increase (knit into front and back of stitch)
K2tog = knit 2 stitches together
p = purl
rem = remaining
rep = repeat
rnd(s) = round(s)
rs = right side
st(s) = stitch(es)
tog = together
yo = yarn over
Important To Know Before Felting
Record all the measurements and changes before and after felting. You will be able to adjust the method to produce proper results. Always test a sample. Different colored yarns may felt differently. Colorfastness can be affected by very hot water. Any project that has been properly felted becomes very dense and matted.
How To Felt
1. Using low water level, run a Hot/Cold cycle for 5 to 15 min. Add a pair of old jeans for agitation.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda for a small load. After one cycle, check for size. Repeat if necessary.
3. Run through the rinse and dry spin cycle. Do not use a clothes dryer.
4. Lay felted piece onto a dry towel, away from direct heat or sunlight.
5. Shape piece to correct measurements. If an edge ripples, baste a thread through the edge and gather in. Remove the thread after the felting is dry.
Cast on 2 sts.
1st row: Knit.
2nd row: Inc 1 st in first st. K1.
3rd and 4th rows: Knit.
5th row: Inc 1 st in first st. Knit to end of row.
Rep last 3 rows 6 times more. 10 sts.
Next row: (RS). Cast on 9 sts. Knit to end of row. 19 sts.
Next row: Cast on 9 sts. Knit these 9 sts. P1. K8. P1. K9. 28 sts.
Next row: Knit.
Next row: K9. P1. K8. P1. K9.
Rep last 2 rows 17 times more.
Next row: (RS). *K2tog. Rep from * to end of row.
Next row: Knit.
Rep last 2 rows once more. 7 sts.
Break yarn, leaving a long end. Thread end through rem sts and draw up tightly. Fasten securely. Using a flat seam, sew side edges tog for 2-inches [5cm] to form toe of slipper. Sew side edges of back triangle to cast on sts of sides to form heel. Felt both Slippers. Shape Slippers to measurements. Dry away from heat and sunlight.
Cuff: With RS facing and double-pointed needles, beg at center back, pick up and knit 36 sts around top of felted Slipper. Use crochet hook to pierce felted fabric and draw st through. Join in rnd, placing marker on first st to mark beg of rnd.
Knit 6 rnds.
Next rnd: (Picot rnd). K1 *yo. K2tog. Rep from * to end of rnd.
Knit 6 rnds. Cast off.
Fold cuff to inside along picot rnd and sew in position.
Use photo as a guide and follow manufacturer’s instructions for all products used.
The cuff is
worked onto the Slipper after felting. Using a crochet hook to pierce through the felted fabric makes picking up stitches for the cuff much easier.