Festive Paper Lantern
- Construction Paper
- Crayola® Markers
- Blunt Scissors
- Foam Shape - Circle
- Creatology™ Chenille Stem
- Ribbon of Choice
- Hole Punch
- Craft Smart® All Purpose Glue
- Fine Motor
- Trace around wooden circle onto construction paper. Cut out the circle.
- For a 3-D appearance, repeat step one (use different color construction paper) to cut out a second circle. Cut one circle into two crescent moon shapes, as shown. Glue the crescents on top of the first circle.
- For the fringed lantern, cut two small rectangles from a different color of construction paper. Cut fringe along end as shown. Glue rectangles to opposite sides of circle.
- If desired, decorate lanterns with Chinese designs, symbols, and characters using markers.
- Fold lantern back and forth to look like an accordion. Unfold for a rippled effect. Punch holes to add a chenille stem hanger and/or decorative ribbon.
TipsThis project offers lots of creative fun plus the opportunity to learn about different cultures.
Parents, use the internet to research Chinese symbols to draw on the lanterns. The symbols can represent happiness, luck and prosperity.