- Sculpey® III Clay - Turqoise
- Creatology™ Chenille Stem
- Wire Cutter
- Oven (for adult use only)
- Aluminum Foil
- Sculpey® III Clay - Violet
- Sculpey® III Clay - Black
- Fine Motor
- Knead each clay bar until soft and smooth. Divide each package of Violet and Turquoise clay into four equal pieces. Divide Black clay into 16 equal pieces. Using one piece of Violet or Turquoise clay, roll two small and two medium teardrop shapes. Teardrops should be long and thin for dragonfly wings and short and wide for butterfly wings.
- Press the teardrop tips together and flatten. Bigger wings should be on top and smaller wings on bottom. Using one piece of Black clay, roll a skinny teardrop shape for bug body and press it over the wings.
- Cut two short pieces of the chenille stem for antennae and one long piece. Curl stem and push into the bug's head. Wrap the long piece of the stem around a pencil to curl it, then push one straight end into the bug between the wings and the body.
- Decorate the bug wings with small balls or teardrop shapes rolled from the opposite color of clay.
- Bake all pieces at 275° F (130° C) for 15 minutes per ¼-inch (6mm) of thickness. DO NOT USE MICROWAVE OVEN. DO NOT exceed the recommended temperature or baking time. After baking, allow to cool.
Start with clean hands and work area.
The materials and instructions listed are to create the project as shown. Encourage kids to be creative, making their favorite bugs, flowers, or other shapes from clay.
Adult supervision is required at all times.
The oven and wire cutters should be used by an adult ONLY.