Geaux Tigers Hat
Knit this fun hat with Vanna's Choice® yarn which has the versatility to help you create many fabulous designs.
Courtesy of Lion Brand®.
- Lion Brand® Vanna’s Choice® - Eggplant (A), Mustard (B) and Purple (C) or Colors of Choice
- Lion Brand® Double Pointed Knitting Needles, Size 9 (5.5mm)
- Lion Brand® Stitch Marker
- Lion Brand® Stitch Holders
- Lion Brand® Pom-Pom Maker
- Lion Brand® Large-eyed Blunt Needle
16 sts + 22 rows = 4" (10cm) in St st worked back and forth in rows (k on RS, p on WS).
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
M1 (make 1) An increase worked by lifting horizontal thread lying between needles and placing it onto left needle. Knit this new stitch through the back loop – 1 st increased.
1. Ear flaps are worked separately back and forth in rows on two double pointed needles. Stitches are then cast-on between ear flaps, and back of hat is worked back and forth in rows. Stitches are cast-on for front of hat, and remainder of hat is worked in rnds up to crown (top of hat).
2. When working in the rnd on double-pointed needles (dpns), your sts need to be divided fairly evenly onto the needles. If you are working with a set of four dpn, your sts should be divided among three needles. If you are working with a set of five dpn, your sts should be divided among four needles. The total number of sts will not always be evenly divisible by the number of dpns that you are using – this is not a problem! Simply divide your sts as evenly as possible. You will still create an asymmetrical ‘tube’ of knitting.
Left Ear Flap
Note: Ear flaps are worked back and forth in rows on two double-pointed needles. When working in rows on two double-pointed needles, take care that sts do not slip off the ends of the needles by wrapping one end of each double-pointed needle with an elastic band.
With A, cast on six sts.
Row 1 (WS): Purl.
Row 2 (Increase Row): K1, M1, k1, M1, k2, M1, k1, M1, k1 – 10 sts at the end of this row.
Row 3: Purl.
Row 4 (Increase Row): K1, M1, k to last st, M1, k1 – 12 sts.
Rows 5 and 6: Rep Rows 3 and 4– 14 sts at the end of Row 6.
Row 7: Rep Row 3. Change to B.
Row 8 (Increase Row): With B, Rep Row 4 – 16 sts.
Row 9: Purl.
Rows 10 and 11: Rep Rows 8 and 9 –18 sts.
Slip these 18 sts to a st holder for Left Ear Flap.
Right Ear Flap
Work Rows 1–11 of Left Ear Flap, but do not sl sts to a holder.
Back of Hat
Row 12: With B, k across18 sts of Right Ear Flap, cast on 18 sts for back of Hat, k18 sts from holder for Left Ear Flap – 54 sts.
Row 13: Purl.
Row 14: Knit. Change to A.
Rows 15–19: With A, work in St st for 5 rows.
Row 20: Continue with A, k to end of row, cast on 26 sts for front of Hat – 80 sts.
Join to Work in the Round
Rnd 1 (Joining Rnd): With RS facing, divide sts onto 4 dpns (20 sts on each needle). Place marker for beg of rnd. Join by working the first st on left hand needle with the working yarn from the right hand needle and being careful not to twist sts; k to end of rnd.
Rnds 2–8: With B, knit. Change to A.
Rnds 9–15: With A, knit. Change to B.
Rnds 16–29: Rep Rnds 2–15.
Shape Crown (top of Hat)
Rnd 30 (Decrease Rnd): With B, *k6, k2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 70 sts.
Rnd 31: Knit.
Rnd 32 (Decrease Rnd): *K5, k2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 60 sts.
Rnd 33: Rep Rnd 31.
Rnd 34 (Decrease Rnd): *K4, k2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 50 sts.
Rnd 35: Rep Rnd 31.
Rnd 36 (Decrease Rnd): *K3, k2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 40 sts. Change to A.
Rnd 37: With A, knit.
Rnd 38 (Decrease Rnd): *K2, k2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 30 sts.
Rnd 39: Rep Rnd 37.
Rnd 40 (Decrease Rnd): *K1, k2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 20 sts.
Rnd 41: Rep Rnd 37.
Rnd 42 (Decrease Rnd): *K2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 10 sts.
Cut yarn, leaving a long yarn tail. Thread yarn tail through remaining sts and pull to gather. Knot securely.
With two strands of C held together, embroider blanket stitch around edge of Hat. Cut nine strands of C about 30" (76cm) long. Hold strands together and fold in half. Use crochet hook to draw fold through edge of Ear Flap, forming a loop. Pull ends through this loop. Pull to tighten. Divide strands into three groups of six strands each and braid for about 9" (23cm). Knot ends. Trim ends. Repeat for other Ear Flap. With C and following package instructions, make seven pom poms. Tie pom poms to top of Hat.
Weave in ends.
beg = begin(ning)
k = knit
k2tog = knit 2 sts together
p = purl
rep = repeat
RS = right side
rnd(s) = round(s)
st(s) = stitch(es)
St st = Stockinette st
WS = wrong side
Every effort has been made to produce accurate and complete instructions. We cannot be responsible for variance of individual knitters or crocheters, human error, or typographical mistakes.
©2011 Lion Brand Yarn Company, all rights reserved