Half Moon Hat (Knit)
- Lion Brand® Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick® (Art. #640) Yarn – Raspberry 1 Ball) or Color of Choice Lion Brand® Stitch Markers
- Lion Brand® Large-eyed Blunt Needle
- Double Pointed Knitting Needles, Size 13 (9mm), set of 5
M1 (make 1) An increase worked by lifting horizontal thread lying between needles and placing it onto left needle. Knit this new stitch through the back loop – 1 st increased.
K2, p2 Rib worked in rnds (multiple of 4 sts)
Rnd 1: *K2, p2; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rep Rnd 1 for K2, p2 Rib worked in rnds.
1. Hat is worked from lower edge up to crown (top of Hat), in the rnd on double-pointed needles.
2. The Hat circumference is designed to be smaller than your head – the Hat will stretch to fit.
3. When knitting in the rnd on double pointed needles (dpns), your sts need to be divided fairly evenly onto the needles. If you are working with a set of 4 dpn, your sts should be divided among 3 needles. If you are working with a set of 5 dpn, your sts should be divided among 4 needles. The total number of sts will not always be evenly divisible by the number of dpns that you are using – this is not a problem! Simply divide your sts as evenly as possible, you will still create a symmetrical ‘tube’ of knitting.
Cast on 40 sts. Divide sts onto 4 dpns (10 sts on each of 4 needles). Place marker for beginning of rnd. Join by working the first st on left hand needle with the working yarn from the right hand needle and being careful not to twist sts.
Work in K2, p2 Rib worked in rnds for 2 rnds.
Begin Welt Pattern
Rnd 1 (Increase Rnd): *(K2, M1) 2 times, k3, M1; rep from * 4 more times, (k2, M1) 2 times, k1 – 57 sts at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 2: Knit.
Rnd 3: Purl.
Rnds 4 and 5: Knit 2 rnds.
Rnds 6-14: Rep Rnds 3-5 three times.
Rnd 15 (Dec Rnd): P26, p2tog, p to last 2 sts, p2tog – 55 sts.
Rnd 16 (Dec Rnd): *K3, k2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 44 sts.
Rnd 17: Knit.
Rnd 18: Purl.
Rnd 19: Knit.
Rnd 20 (Dec Rnd): *K2, k2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 33 sts.
Rnd 21: Purl.
Rnd 22: Knit.
Rnd 23 (Dec Rnd): *K1, k2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 22 sts.
Rnd 24: Purl.
Rnd 25: Knit.
Rnd 26 (Dec Rnd): *K2tog; rep from * to end of rnd – 11 sts.
Rnd 27: Purl.
Rnd 28: Knit.
Rnd 29 (Dec Rnd): (K2tog) 5 times, k1 – 6 sts.
Cut yarn, leaving a long yarn tail. Thread yarn tail through remaining sts and pull to gather. Knot securely.
Weave in ends.
dec = decrease(s)
dpn(s) = double pointed needle(s)
k = knit
k2tog = knit 2 stitches together
p = purl
p2tog = purl 2 stitches together
rep = repeat
rnd(s) = round(s)
st(s) = stitch(es)
St st = Stockinette stitch