Kids' Media Box
Taking a road trip? Here's a place to store your DVD's!
Designed by Craft Marketing Connections, Inc. courtesy of Elmer's.
- Bi-Fold Foam Board, 9" x 12" (opens to 12" x 18")
- CraftBond™ Dot Runner, Permanent
- CraftBond™ Foam Mounting Tape
- X-ACTO® Designer Series 5" Precision Tip Scissors
- X-ACTO® Designer Series 12" Metal Ruler
- X-ACTO® Designer Series 12" x 12" Self Healing Cutting Mat
- X-ACTO® Designer Series Gripster® Knife (with new blade)
- X-ACTO® Designer Series 12" Rotary Paper Trimmer
- The Paper Company™ / TCP Studio™, Transportation™ Collection - 12" x 12" scrapbook paper: Two "Beep Beep Honk Honk"; One each: "Tractors and Trucks", "Primary Stripe" and "On The Move"
- Quad die-cut: Helicopter and truck
- 1 yd. length of 5/8" wide Red print Ribbon
- Fabric buttons, three
- Alphabet chipboard stickers
- 7 1/2" length of 3/8" wide Gold with White stitching grosgrain ribbon
- Low Heat Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Small hand drill
Use pencil and X-ACTO® 12" Metal Ruler to draw cutting lines on Elmer's® Foam Board: 8" x 10 1/2" Base, two 6" x 9" and two 6" x 10 1/2" Sides. Use an X-ACTO® Gripster® Knife (with new blade) and Metal Ruler on Self Healing Cutting Mat to cut Foam Board. (Hint: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper, with several passes of knife. Replace blade often.)
To assemble box, place Base on table. Use a glue gun to glue foam edge of one 10 1/2" side of Base and quickly press one 6" x 10 1/2" piece against glued edge, aligning carefully. Repeat to attach other 6" x 10 1/2" piece to opposite side of Base. Then, hot glue each of the 6" x 9" pieces to Base and to corner edges. Set aside.
For lid, place opened Elmer's® Bi-Fold Foam Board on Cutting Mat. Use a Gripster® Knife and Metal Ruler to measure and cut 1/2" x 18" off one long edge, then measure and cut 3" x 11 1/2" off one short edge of Foam Board to yield 11 1/2" x 15" piece. To make box lid, apply CraftBond™ All Purpose Glue Stick to (smaller) 6" x 11 1/2" surface of the inside hinge side and attach to outside of long side of box. (Note: 9" x 11 1/2" area becomes lid.)
To cover box, use Metal Ruler to measure side of box. Use X-ACTO® 12" Rotary Paper Trimmer to cut "Beep Beep Honk Honk" paper to that size. Apply Glue Stick over entire surface of measured side and attach paper. Similarly measure, cut and cover remaining box sides. To cover lid, cut 9" x 11 1/2" "Tractors & Trucks" paper. Apply Glue Stick to entire surface and attach paper to lid.
For handle, use Metal Ruler and X-ACTO® 5" Precision Tip Scissors to cut 1 yd. length Red ribbon. Fold in half and secure with Glue Stick to make double-sided. For holes, measure and mark 3” down from top and 3 1/2" in from each side. Use hand drill to gently make holes through box front. Thread each end of double-sided ribbon to inside of box. Tie together ends, checking that handle is long enough on outside of box. Then knot.
For button closure, measure and mark with pencil, center front of box and lid. Attach button 1" below top edge of box front. For loop, fold Gold grosgrain ribbon in half, overlapping ends. Use a glue gun to secure ribbon ends to box, 1" from edge of box top. Attach button over ribbon ends. (Note: Use a glue gun to more securely attach buttons.)
For Nameplate on lid, cut 5" x 6 1/2" "Primary Stripe", 4 1/2" x 5" Blue side of "On The Move" and 4 1/4" x 6" Green side of "Tractors and Trucks". Refer to photo and use CraftBond™ Dot Runner to attach. Arrange chipboard letters and button embellishments as desired and attach with CraftBond™ Foam Mounting Tape for added dimension.
Punch out Truck and Helicopter die cuts. Position and attach using three layers of Foam Mounting Tape or a scrap of Foam Board and Glue Stick. Fill with DVDs.