Knot Your Average Halloween Pillow
- Tulip® Dimensional Fabric Paint - Slick Black
- Aleene's "Tacky" Glue®
- Glitter - Various Colors
- Craft Smart® Paint Brush
- T-Shirt - Black
- Crayola® Pointed Scissors
- Aluminum Foil
- Container of Water
- Paper Towels
- Tulip® Dimensional Fabric Paint - Slick Orange
- Tulip® Dimensional Fabric Paint - Slick White
- Tulip® Dimensional Fabric Paint - Slick Leaf Green
- Tracing Paper
- T-Shirt - Orange
- Cardboard T-Shirt Board
- Recycled Newspaper
- Fine Motor
- For each pillow: find the images for your pillow characters by going online. Enlarge as needed to fit pillow and print. Trace image onto tracing paper. Ask an adult to cut out the image with scissors to create a stencil.
- Cut the shirt off from under the arm on one side to the next. Cut off the bottom hem. Insert the t-shirt board into the shirt. Position the stencil on the shirt.
- Pour a puddle of paint onto foil. Use brush to fill in openings of stencil. Peel off stencil. Let dry. (Tip: You may want to apply multiple coats of paint for full coverage. If so, let paint dry between coats.)
- Try adding a little sparkle by applying glitter to random parts of your characters by brushing on glue to desired areas then cover with glitter. Let dry and tap off excess glitter.
- Cut 1-inch x 3-inch strips from the extra t-shirt material. Cut small slits in the painted piece of the t-shirt along all four sides through both layers. Insert the strips of t-shirt fabric and knot. (Be sure to leave a small section open on one side.) Stuff the pillow with recycled newspaper through the opening. When desired fullness is reached, tie the last section.
To protect clothing, have children wear an old t-shirt when painting. To protect the work surface, cover with recycled newspaper. Wash the paintbrush with water and dry it with a paper towel before changing paint colors.
Adult supervision is required at all times. Children should only use scissors with adult supervision.