Mother's Day Window Greeting
This thoughtful project is a loving reminder for Mom or Grandma, every time they look out the window!
Designed by Craft Marketing Connections, Inc. courtesy of Elmer's.
- Elmer's® Foam Board Multi-Pack, (4 per pack), 11" x 14" x 3/16"
- Elmer's® CraftBond™ Quick Dry Glue Dual Tip Pen
- Elmer's® CraftBond™ All Purpose Glue Stick
- Elmer's® CraftBond™ Glue Spots, Thin-Mini
- Elmer's® CraftBond™ Glue Spots, Thin-Small
- X-ACTO® Designer Series Gripster® Knife (with new blade)
- X-ACTO® Designer Series 12" Metal Ruler
- X-ACTO® Designer Series 12" x 12" Self Healing Cutting Mat
- X-ACTO® Designer Series 8" Scissors
- Painters® Opaque Paint Marker, Medium Tip, Violet
- Design Master® Spray Primer
- Design Master® Color Tool® Spray Color, Olive Bright
- The Paper Company™ / TCP Studio™, UnderSea Adventures™ Collection, 12" x 12" scrapbook paper, "Icon Stripe", two sheets
- 8 1/2" x 11" clear plastic sheet
- Ribbon - 1 yd. length of 3/8" wide Blue dot
- Ribbon - 1/2 yd. length of 3/8" wide Green with White dot
- Five 1 1/4" diameter bottle caps
- Two 12 mm wiggle eyes
- 7 mm Purple pom
- Two small Yellow beads
- 6" length of 22 gauge Purple wire
- Notebook paper
- Transparent tape
- Old newspapers
Use pencil and X-ACTO® 12" Metal Ruler to mark 8" square on two Elmer's® Foam Boards. Use an X-ACTO® Gripster® Knife and Metal Ruler on Self Healing Cutting Mat to cut. (Hint: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper, with several passes of the knife. Replace blade often.) Use Metal Ruler to measure and mark 6" centered opening on each 8" Foam Board square. Similarly, cut opening. Set aside the removed 6" pieces.
For window, measure and mark 7" square clear plastic. Use X-ACTO® 8" Scissors to cut out. Make a template by drawing a 6" square on notebook paper. Use pencil to write message such as shown in photo, leaving an open area for caterpillar in center. Place window plastic over notebook paper template and tape to hold. Use Painters® Paint Marker to trace over letters in message. Let dry.
Measure and mark 8" square on "Icon Stripe" papers. Use Scissors to cut out. Center and trace around one of the 6" Foam Board pieces (that was removed when cutting frame), onto one 8" square paper. Cut out opening with Scissors. Apply Glue Stick to entire surface of frame and attach paper (Blue dot side up). Repeat to make another paper frame. Turn over Foam Board frame and similarly attach second paper. Apply Glue Stick to foam edge of frame and attach Blue dot ribbon. Trim ribbon end with Scissors.
To assemble window, apply CraftBond™ All Purpose Glue Stick to cover un-paper-covered (white) side of one Foam Board frame. Center and attach plastic. Similarly apply Glue Stick to un-paper-covered (white) side of second Foam Board frame. Align and press together glued sides, sandwiching plastic. Cover with book or similar heavy object and set aside to dry. (Note: Check after 15 minutes to be sure frames didn't shift.)
In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area, spray bottle caps with Primer. Let dry. Then spray with light coats of Olive Bright spray. Let dry.
For antennae, bend wire in half and wrap ends around end of pencil to curl. Remove wire and gently scrunch. Thread bead on each end of wire and turn ends down to secure. Use CraftBond™ Glue Dots, Thin-Small to attach antennae to back of bottle cap, for head.
Use CraftBond™ Glue Dots, Thin-Mini to attach wiggle eyes and pom nose to head. According to photo, arrange bottle caps on window and attach with Glue Dots, Thin-Small.
For hanger, fold Green dot ribbon in half and use Glue Stick to attach ends to back of frame. Trim excess length if desired.