Premo! Sculpey® Flip Flops
- Premo! Sculpey® Oven-bake Clay – Candy Pink and Cadmium Yellow
- Clay Dedicated Pasta Machine
- Sculpey® Translucent Liquid
- Needle Tool
- Swarovski Crystallized™ Hot Fix Crystals, 3mm – Crystal
- Waxed Paper
- Clay Cutter (or Paper Pattern, 2" Long) – Football
- Scrap Yarn
- Wire Beading Needle
Step 1 Using Clay Conditioning Machine (Pasta Machine), blend both bars of clay together until completely mixed. Make a ½" ball and cut in half to make flower centers. Place on baking surface and press on crystals.
Step 2 Make 4"x½" log and cut in half to make flower bases. Flatten slightly. Using needle tool, make large holes ½" from the end of each log. Bake bases and centers for 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before next step.
Step 3 Make two ½" balls and cut in half. Position half on each side of base and smudge to adhere to base. Roll remaining clay through pasta machine at #5 setting and lay on waxed paper. Using clay cutter or paper pattern, cut ten petals. Lay pre-baked bases on baking surface and coat tops with thin layer of Sculpey® Translucent Liquid.
Step 4 Shape ten petals by pinching one point together and flattening the pinched section. Press five petals on each base. Bake 15 minutes and allow to cool completely. Dot center with Sculpey® Translucent Liquid.
Step 5 Cut five petals. Use one edge of the cutter to cut two smaller petals from each larger one. Shape ten small petals by pinching one end and pressing pinched end flat. Press smaller petals on flower center, alternating with previous layer of petals. Add thin layer of Sculpey® Translucent Liquid to middle, and press on flower center. Repeat for second flower. Bake 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
Step 6 Using yarn and wire needle, sew flowers onto flip flop straps.
1. Use a round ¼ teaspoon measuring spoon to make nicely domed flower centers. First dip the spoon into cornstarch, then press clay in and level off with Super Slicer. Tap clay out of spoon and wipe off cornstarch with baby wipe or rubbing alcohol.
2. Hot Fix crystals have a heat-activated glue on the back that bonds with the clay during baking. If you use regular flat-back glass crystals, you may need to use super glue after baking. If you use acrylic crystals, DO NOT BAKE into flower centers — instead, glue on after baking is completed.
Do not use unbaked clay on unprotected furniture or finished surfaces. Start with clean hands and work surface area. Good work surfaces include wax paper, metal baking sheet, or disposable foil. Knead clay until soft and smooth. For best results, clean your hands in between colors. Shape clay, pressing pieces together firmly. Bake on oven-proof glass or metal surface at 275°F (130°C) for 15 minutes per ¼" (6mm) thickness. For best baking results, use an oven thermometer. DO NOT USE MICROWAVE OVEN. DO NOT EXCEED THE ABOVE TEMPERATURE OR RECOMMENDED BAKING TIME. Wash hands after use. Baking should be completed by an adult.
Begin by preheating oven to 275°F (130°C). Test temperature with oven thermometer for perfectly cured clay. For best results, condition all clay by running it through the clay dedicated pasta machine several passes on the widest setting. Fold the clay in half after each pass and insert the fold side into the rollers first.