Spa Garden Ripple Afghan (Crochet)
Making this super-silky, delightfully soft afghan is a snap with Homespun® Thick & Quick® yarn. Made in the USA, this super-bulky yarn was created by Lion Brand® to feature beautiful heathers and tonal blends of color. It works up quickly into a richly-textured piece that will make a lovely home accent while keeping you warm and cozy!
Created by the Lion Brand® Design Team.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Lion Brand® Homespun® Thick & Quick® (Art. #792) Yarn – Lagoon (2 Skeins; A), Pearls (2 Skeins; B) and Herb Garden (2 Skeins; C) or Colors of Choice
- Lion Brand® Crochet Hook, Size P-15 (10mm)
- Lion Brand® Large-eyed Blunt Needle
SIZE: About 42 x 48 in. (106.5 x 122cm)
GAUGE: 1 ripple = about 7 in. (18cm) + 10 rows = about 11 in. (28cm). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it take you fewer stitches and rows to match the gauge, try using a smaller size hook or needles, if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
dc3tog (dc 3 sts together) Yarn over, insert hook into st and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops. (Yarn over, insert hook into next st and draw up a loop. Yarn over, draw through 2 loops) twice, yarn over and draw through all loops on hook – 2 sts decreased.
Work 4 rows with A, 3 rows with B, 2 rows with C, 1 row with B, 4 rows with A, 2 rows with B, 3 rows with C, 1 row with B for Color Sequence.
With A, ch 76.
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook, *dc in next 4 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 4 ch, 3 dc in next ch; rep from * 4 more times, dc in next 4ch, dc3tog, dc in next 4 ch, 2 dc in last ch – 6 ripples at the end of this row.
Row 2: Ch 3, turn, dc in first dc, *dc in next 4 dc,dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc; rep from * 4 more times, dc in next 4dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in top of turning ch.
Rows 3 and 4: With A, rep Row 2. Change to B.
Rows 5-40: Continue to rep Row 2, changing colors following Color Sequence, until entire Sequence has been worked twice.
Last 4 Rows: With C, rep Row 2 four times.
Weave in ends.
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
rep = repeat
st(s) = stitch(es)
Every effort has been made to produce accurate and complete instructions. We cannot be responsible for variance of individual knitters or crocheters, human error, or typographical mistakes.
1. Afghan is worked in a ripple crochet pattern. The ripple pattern is easy to do, but it’s important to remember that you may need to work several rows before the ripple pattern becomes clear.
2. Each dc3tog 'valley' is always worked over a dc3tog 'valley' on the previous row, and each 3-dc group 'peak' is always worked in the center dc of a 3-dc 'peak' on the previous row.
3. To change color, work last st of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete st. Fasten off old color.
4. Work over yarn ends of old color or weave in ends as you work.