Sprayed Lace Frame
Easily create a beautiful design by spray painting through lace, for this one-of-a-kind, fabulous frame!
Designed by Craft Marketing Connections, Inc. courtesy of Elmer's.
- Elmer's® Foam Board Multi-Pack, (5 per pack), 8" x 10" x 3/16"
- Elmer's® CraftBond™ Quick Dry Glue Dual Tip Pen
- Elmer's® CraftBond™ Foam Mounting Tape
- Elmer's® X-ACTO® Designer Series 12" Metal Ruler
- Elmer's® X-ACTO® Designer Series 12" x 12" Self Healing Cutting Mat
- Elmer's® X-ACTO® Designer Series Gripster® Knife (with new blade)
- Elmer's® X-ACTO® Designer Series 5" Precision Tip Scissors
- 10" x 12" piece lace fabric
- Design Master® Color Tool® Spray Color, Flat Black
- The Paper Company™ / TCP Studio™, Girlfriends™ Collection: 12" x 12" scrapbook paper: "Ribbon Scallop", "Flourish Dot" and "Multidot"
- Ribbon: 36" length of 1/2" wide Pink/Black/White and 24" length of 3/8" wide Black with White stitching
- 1" diameter circle metal accents, Black, (2)
- Gemstones: Eight 6mm Fuchsia; Eleven 8mm Pink
- Cricut® Expression electric die cutting machine and Story Book™ cartridge
- Masking tape
- Old newspapers
- 4" x 6" vertical photo
Use pencil and an X-ACTO® 12" Metal Ruler to mark 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" centered opening on two sheets Elmer's® 8" x 10" Foam Board. Use an X-ACTO® Gripster® Knife, (with new blade) and 12" Metal Ruler on Self Healing Cutting Mat to cut openings. (Hint: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper, with several passes of the knife. Replace blade often.) To give frame front thickness, use CraftBond™ All Purpose Glue Stick to cover front surface of one Foam Board frame and attach to second Foam Board frame. Cover with book or similar heavy object and set aside to dry.
Wrap and tape lace around frame front. The tighter the lace fits, the more defined the lace design will be. In well-ventilated, newspaper covered area, spray paint with Flat Black. Wait a few minutes and carefully remove lace.
Use CraftBond™ Quick Dry Glue Dual Tip Pen to attach Black with White Stitching ribbon around inside opening of frame. Trim excess ribbon with X-ACTO® 5" Precision Tip Scissors. Set aside.
(Note: Frame back will have hinge-type opening.) To make frame back, mark 5" x 7" centered, rectangle on third piece of Foam Board. Use Gripster® Knife and Metal Ruler on Cutting Mat to cut on line along two sides and bottom. On top, cut only through top paper and foam. This creates a hinge. (Tip: If you accidentally cut through paper, reinforce with tape.) Use Glue Stick to attach frame back to double-layer front, with hinge of opening on top back. Cover with heavy object and set aside to dry. (Note: Frame is now three layers thick.) Use Quick Dry Glue to attach Pink/Black/White ribbon around outside foam edge of frame. Trim excess ribbon with 5" Scissors.
Choose paper and use the die cutting machine and cartridge, according to manufacturer's instructions. Cut two 3" diameter, three 2" diameter, five 1 1/2" diameter and one 1" diameter assorted color flowers (Poppies). (Note: If you do not have a die cutting machine, look at photo to draw and cut paper shapes according to sizes listed above.) To distress, lightly sand edges of flowers. (Tip: Sand at an angle, away from petals.) Use pencil to curl edges of flower petals.
Stack various sizes and colors of flowers. Assemble with two layers of CraftBond™ Foam Mounting Tape between flower layers. Use Quick Dry Glue to attach metal accents and gemstones in centers. Arrange flowers on frame as desired and attach with one layer Foam Mounting Tape.
Arrange remaining gemstones on frame. (Tip: Make groups of three gemstones for a bolder look.) Use Quick Dry Glue to attach.
Insert photo into frame and tape to hold. For hanger, use 5" Scissors to cut 6" length Black with White stitching ribbon. Form into loop and use Quick Dry Glue to attach cut ends to top, center, back of frame.