Spring Bird Buddy
- Sculpey® III Clay - Turqoise
- Sculpey® III Clay - Blue Pearl
- Sculpey® III Clay - Yellow
- Tissue Paper - Various Colors
- Clay Pot
- Aleene's "Tacky" Glue®
- Fine Motor
- Some Basic Information: Sculpey® III should be conditioned before using. To condition, roll and squeeze each color in your hands until the clay becomes soft, pliable and even in consistency.
- It's important to bake your projects for the right amount of time and at the right temperature. Sculpey® III bakes in your home oven for 15 minutes at 275 degrees F. Line your baking sheets with aluminum foil when using them to cure polymer clay projects.
- Always have an adult assist in the baking process and never touch a clay project until it has completely cooled.
- It is important that you not place unbaked clay on any furniture surface. Good working surfaces include wax paper, an index card or and old baking sheet. Do not use cooking utensils with food after you have used them to work with clay.
- Directions: For the blue bird, you'll need a small round ball, a larger egg shape and two little egg shapes all in Turquoise. Note: If your little pot has a hole in the bottom, cover it with a small disk of Turquoise clay.
- Flatten the tapered end of the larger egg shape. Bend it up and shape it into a tail with your fingers.
- Gently push the body of the bird onto the side of the little pot. Then remove it. Put a drop of glue on the edge and replace the bird body. Gently press the head in place. Flatten the two smaller egg shapes into wings and press these into place on each side of the body.
- Make a tiny break from yellow and press it onto the bird's head. Poke tiny holes with the end of a sharpened pencil for eyes.
- Set the bird and pot aside so you can make your bird eggs. To make the green color, mix equal parts yellow and light blue pearl. Make little balls and then taper them with your fingers. You can make both green and blue eggs, if desired.
- Bake the eggs and the pot with the bird on the side for 15 minutes at 275 degrees. When the pot and the eggs are cool, fill the pot with shredded tissue paper and put the eggs on top.
TipsMake a tiny bird in a nest out of clay to remind you that Spring is on its way!
Craft NotesAdult supervision required at all times.
ONLY ADULTS should use the oven.