Stamped Clay Hearts
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam- Hearts, 2 Each: Open, 6"; Solid, 8"
- Acrylic Paints- Black and Red
- Stone-Look Metallic Spray Paint- One Can Each: Copper and Antique Gold
- Metallic Paint Pens, One Each: Bright Gold and Copper
- Polymer Clay, One Package Each: Metallic Red and Pearl White
- Hard Plastic Stamps (Used For Stepping Stones): Alphabet, Swirl
- Green Reindeer Moss- 2 Bags
- Roses with Leaves- 2 Each: Pink, Cream, Red
- Fine-Gauge Floral Wire
- Floral Pins
- Rolling Pin or Clay Roller Tool
- Knife or Clay Shaping Tool
- Paintbrushes- Medium Flat and Liner
- Disposable Palette
- Water Basin
- Paper Towels
- Floral Shears or Wire Cutters
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Optional: Large cardboard box
- Optional: Disposable rubber gloves
- Optional: Clay-dedicated pasta machine
Follow manufacturer's instructions to condition each color of clay, using hands or clay-dedicated pasta machine.
Use rolling tool to roll one-half of pearl clay to 1/4" thickness. Use knife to trace inner edge of open foam heart onto clay.
Mix remaining pearl clay with one-half metallic red clay to make light red. Repeat Step: 3 for light red clay.
Stamp desired word into surface of each clay heart at an angle as shown. Note: Carefully remove stamps from clay; do not let clay become too soft or clay may stick to stamps. If this happens, let clay harden slightly; wash and dry stamps before using again.
Stamp clay surface around words with swirls or other designs. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake clay; let cool completely
Use liner brush to paint letters black; remove excess with damp paper towel. Use paint pens to trace lettering, leaving some black exposed; remove excess with paper towel.
Use clean, dry paper towel to rub red paint across surface of pearl heart only. Quickly rub over surface with damp paper towel to remove excess. Use copper paint pen to add additional highlights to heart as desired.
Place open foam hearts inside cardboard box to prevent overspray. Wearing rubber gloves if desired, spray hearts with both stone-look paints. Let dry slightly, then use paper towel or fingers to blend colors.
While hearts are still wet, use paint pens to add random highlights on tops and sides of hearts; let dry.
Center and glue clay hearts on top of solid foam hearts. Center and glue open hearts over clay hearts, hiding clay edges.
Glue moss to foam, covering sides and back.
Trim rose stems and leaves as needed; glue stems into foam as shown.
Cut 6" length from wire. Fold wire in half; twist ends together, forming hanging loop. Glue wire ends into top center back of heart; secure with floral pins.