Loops & Threads™ Dye It! Star Bright Floss Necklace
- Loops & Threads™ Dye it! Kit
- Craft Glue
- Plastic or Wood Ring (we used a 2 in diameter drapery ring)
- Paper Towels
- Plastic Trash Bag
Wrap the plastic ring with white floss. Start by tying one end of floss to the ring and tightly wind the floss around the ring.
Once the ring is completely covered with floss, tie a knot close to the ring or add a dab of glue and trim.
To create the necklace portion, measure Cut a 40 inch piece of floss. Loop around ring twice, pull taught and tie a few knots at the top of the pendant.
Use a needle to string a bead onto both the floss strands. Tie a knot, string another bead and tie a knot.
Knot the two ends of the necklace together.
Now your necklace is ready to dye!
Dying the Necklace
Protect your work area by covering it with plastic trash bags. Cover the bags with a layer of paper towels.
Protect your clothes with an apron or smock and wear gloves.Rinse the entire necklace in warm water and pat dry with a paper towel. Necklace should be slightly damp when dyeing.
While wearing gloves, mix dye by adding water to the dye powder in each applicator bottle. * Note: Adding more water will produce lighter colors, less water will create darker colors. Make sure cap is on tight and shake well until dye is dissolved.Next, use applicator bottles to apply dye to the necklace.
Be careful not to use too much dye as colors may become muddy. Use paper towels to blot off excess dye.
Let the necklace set for 6 or more hours. The longer it sets, the more intense the color will be.
After it has set for 6 or more hours, unwrap and rinse thoroughly with cold water and allow to dry before wearing.
• Read all instructions before you start.
• Don’t add water to the dye powder until you are ready to use it.
• Dye should be applied within 45 minutes of mixing with water or it will begin to lose color intensity.
• Dye will stain skin and clothes, always wear gloves when working with dye.
• Always use dye with adult supervision.
• Dye many necklaces at the same time since dye mixed with water will begin to fade in 45 minutes.
• Create custom colors by blending and overlapping dyes.
• Do not allow wet dye to rest on unprotected surfaces. Wet dye will stain.
• When you are finished, be sure to clean up your work area thoroughly by removing any excess dye or dye dust as it may stain surfaces or clothes.