- Lily Sugar 'n Cream Yarn
- Drinking Straws
- 3M® Scotch Tape
- Fine Motor
- Straw loom: Line up 4 straws. Measure the length of a straw and add 5 to 6 ins [12.5 to 15 cm]. Cut one piece of yarn this length for each straw in your loom. Thread each piece of yarn through each straw.
- With ends even, tie an overhand knot in strands of yarn that are through the straws. Push straws up to the knot, and tape them together at the top by running the tape around straws from front to back.With new length of yarn, tie one end onto an outside straw just below tape. Start weaving this new piece of yarn over and under each straw.
- Continue over-under pattern for 10 rows or until you want to change colors. Knot yarn onto an outside straw, and break off. Begin second color as before, directly below first color and continue weaving for 10 rows or until you want to change colors. Tuck loose ends inside weaving.
- When weaving a longer item and you come to the end of the straws, remove the masking tape, move some of the weaving off the straws and up onto the wrapped threads. Do this by pulling the straws partially out of the weaving, being careful to leave approx 1 inch [2.5 cm] attached to straws. Repeat this process as often as necessary.
- When you reach the desired length, knot yarn to outside straw and cut it. Remove masking tape. Hold weaving lightly in one hand as you pull out straws, one at a time. Push weaving up to knot, and finish it by tying another overhand knot at the end just below weaving. Trim ends even.