Woodland Friends Cardholder
- CraftSmart Acrylics:
- CS120 White
- CS135 Holiday Red
- CS140 Orange
- CS145 Tan
- CS147 Brown
- CS153 Yellow
- CS167 Spanish Olive
- CS173 Pale Blue
- CS191 Dark Grey
- CS192 Black
- CraftSmart Varnish CS300 Matte Varnish
- 6” square wood plaque
- 4¼” x 6” x 8½” wooden box
- ¾” wash/glaze brush
- #1 flat brush
- #0 spotter brush
- Water container
- Palette or plastic plate
- Paper towels
- Black ultra-fine felt tip pen, LePen
- 150-grit sandpaper
- Brown paper bag
- Wood glue
Note: Allow paint to dry between colors, coats, and steps. Allow glue to dry
before next step.
1. Using wood glue, adhere wooden plaque to front of wooden box.
2. Sand cardholder smooth with 150-grit sandpaper and remove any dust
with damp paper towel.
3. Using piece of brown paper bag, sand cardholder smooth and remove any
dust with damp paper towel.
4. Mix Brown with water to consistency of milk. Moisten paper towel with
water and ring out to point that water is no longer dripping from towel, but
that towel is still thoroughly wet.
5. Dip wet towel in watered down Brown from step 4 and rub over cardholder
to stain all sides and bottom. Make sure stain is absorbed, but don’t rub so
hard that paper towel falls apart.
6. Allow to dry and sand smooth with brown paper bag. Remove any dust
with damp paper towel.
7. Repeat steps 5-6 until desired amount of stain is achieved.
8. Using ¾” wash/glaze flat brush, basecoat front of cardholder with 2:1 mix
of Pale Blue + White.
9. Copy pattern onto tracing paper and transfer to front with graphite transfer
paper underneath. Use stylus or ballpoint pen to transfer pattern lines.
10. Using #0 spotter brush, basecoat owl with 1:1 mix of Brown + White; owl’s
scarf, Holiday Red; star, Yellow; eyes and star’s stick, White; and feet and
11. Using # 1 shader brush, basecoat tree Spanish Olive; trunk, Brown; and
12. Using #0 spotter brush, basecoat fox’s coat, top of head, and bottom of
tail with mix of Pumpkin + touch of Holiday Red; chest, face, and tip of tail
White; legs, Black; and bell with 2:1 mix of Dark Grey + White.
13. Using #1 shader brush, basecoat hedgehog’s face, hands, and feet with
1:2 mix of Tan + White; his coat, Brown; and his ornament, Holiday Red
with top of ornament Yellow.
14. Using #0 spotter brush, basecoat raccoon’s body and head with 2:1 mix of
Dark Grey + White; face, hands, and tail stripes, Black; muzzle and top of
eyes, White; and present, Spanish Olive + White 2: 1.
15. Using ¾” flat brush, basecoat snowy ground White.
16. Using handle end of large paintbrush, dot in White snowflakes.
17. Using black ultra-fine felt tip pen, outline woodland creatures, tree, ground,
and snowflakes. (See photo.)
18. Apply two coats of CraftSmart Matte Varnish, allowing to dry and sanding
with brown paper bag between coats.