Home » Projects » Seasons & Celebrations » Halloween
Craft Smart® Owl PumpkinItem# 32222Create this darling owl pumpkin with Craftsmart® polymer clay.
Do not use unbaked clay on unprotected furniture or finished surfaces. Start with clean hands and work surface area. Good work surfaces include wax paper, metal baking sheet, or disposable foil. Knead clay until soft and smooth. For best results, clean your hands in between colors. Bake on oven-proof glass or metal surface at 275°F (130°C) for 15 minutes per ¼" (6mm) thickness. For best baking results, use an oven thermometer. DO NOT USE MICROWAVE OVEN. DO NOT EXCEED THE ABOVE TEMPERATURE OR RECOMMENDED BAKING TIME. Wash hands after use. Baking should be completed by an adult.
Begin by preheating oven to 275°F (130°C). Test temperature with oven thermometer for perfectly cured clay. Condition all clay by kneading until it’s soft and smooth, or running it through a clay dedicated pasta machine for several passes on the widest setting. Fold the clay in half after each pass and insert the fold side into the rollers first.
Making Your Pieces
Step 1 Using Brown clay make three sheets of clay using a pasta machine on the #1 setting:
· Using the templates provided and the knife from the Clay Tool Starter Set, cut out two eyebrows.
· Using the 2¼" metal circle cutter, cut out two large circles for the eyes.
· Using the 5/8" circle cutter, cut out five circles for the tummy.
· Using the heart cutter cut out four hearts for the wings.
Step 2 Using Tan clay, make two sheets of clay using a pasta machine on the #1 setting:
· Using the heart cutter, cut out two hearts for the wings.
· Using the scalloped circle cutter from the Premo! Sculpey® scalloped edge cutter set, cut out two circles for the eyes.
· Using the teardrop from the Premo! Sculpey® mini cutter set, cut out four teardrops for the eyelashes.
· Using the 3/8" circle cutter, cut out four circles for the tummy.
Step 3 Using Yellow clay, make one sheet using a pasta machine on the #2 setting:
· Using a quarter for a template and the knife, cut out two circles for the eyes.
· Using the template provided and the knife, cut out one large teardrop for beak.
· Using the needle tool make two circles into the large rounded end for nostrils.
· Using the 3/8" circle cutter, cut out three circles for the tummy.
Step 4 Using black clay make one sheet of clay using a pasta machine on the #2 setting.
· Using the 5/8" circle cutter and cut out two circles for the eyes.
Step 5 Using white clay, make two tiny balls (1/8") for the eyes.
Assembling the Pieces
Wings: To make the wings take a large Brown heart and then layer a large Tan heart on top, leaving the top portion of the Brown heart showing (approximately 1" of Brown showing). Repeat this process by layering the second large Brown heart on top of the Tan one. You should have three hearts layered. Repeat process again for the second wing.
Eyes: Start with you two large Brown circles. Place the Tan scalloped circles on top of the Brown circles. Don’t center these, have them more towards the inside edge of your Brown circles. Next add your quarter sized yellow circles, again towards inside edge. Lastly press the small black circles on top of the Yellow, again towards the inside edge. Add the tiny white balls to the black circles. Add the two Tan teardrop pieces to the corners of each eye for eyelashes.
All your pieces that need to be assembled should be all set.
Getting Your Pieces To fit onto Your Pumpkin
Step 1 Cut out pieces of heavy aluminum foil to accommodate each clay piece.
Step 2 Bend a large piece over the area on your pumpkin where you would like to place the eyes. Rub the foil so that it really takes on the shape of the pumpkin.
Step 3 With the foil still in place on the pumpkin, put the clay eyes on top of the foil and bend the eyes to take on the same shape as the pumpkin. Gently lift the foil off the pumpkin with the clay piece still on top. You will bake the eyes on the foil so it maintains the curve of the pumpkin.
Step 4 Repeat this process for all of the clay pieces.
Bake all of the pieces according to the directions above. Allow to cool completely.
Adhering the Clay Pieces onto the Pumpkin
Glue the clay pieces onto the pumpkin with the gel fast-setting glue. Glue the pieces in this order -- eyebrows, eyes, beak centered between the eyes, wings, five Brown circles, four Tan circles and three Yellow circles. Please note that this glue dries really fast, so be careful with your placement of things because they are very hard to move once they are stuck on your pumpkin. You might want to make little pencil marks to help you know where to place your pieces.
Sculpey® III Oven-bake Clay, 2 oz. Bars – Black, Yellow, Granny Smith, Sweet Potato, Chocolate and Tan
Sculpey® Clay Tool Starter Set
Acrylic Clay Roller
Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
Celebrate It™ Pumpkin
Baby wipes are the best way to clean up after playing with clay!Craft Time: 60+ minutes
Gel Fast Setting Glue