Paris Canvas Wall Art by Americana®
- Americana® DecouPage, matte or gloss
- Americana® Acrylics - Mississippi Mud, Bittersweet Chocolate
- Four 8” x 10” canvases, Super Value Pack
- 1” chipwood brush
- 11.75” x 36” travel poster
- Four large sawtooth hangers
- X-Acto Knife
- Yardstick or ruler
- Four emery boards or fine grit-sandpaper
- Four finishing nails
- Water container
- Paper towels
1. Using X-Acto Knife and yardstick or ruler, cut poster into four 7?” x 9?” pieces. (Overall, you’ll be using only about 10” x 32” of poster and trimming the rest, so consider that when choosing design and when cutting pieces.)
2. Using chipwood brush, paint all four 8” x 10” canvases Mississippi Mud. Apply second coat if necessary, clean brush with soap and water, and allow canvases to dry completely.
3. Use chipwood brush to apply thin layer of DecouPage to front of one canvas. Press one of poster pieces on canvas and smooth it onto canvas from front and back. (Poster may bubble or wave, but keep smoothing it poster onto canvas to minimize ripples and remove any air pockets. Ripples should lessen when DecouPage dries completely.) Repeat for remaining three canvases and allow to dry completely.
4. Apply two coats of DecouPage over surface of posters and on sides of canvases to protect and seal poster pieces.
5. Use emery board to bevel edges of each poster and to distress edges of posters and canvases. (Don’t be afraid to remove surface of poster or even to sand through canvas. It’ll grab distressing paint and provide an interesting, antique texture to project.)
6. Using chipwood brush, dry-brush Bittersweet Chocolate on edges of canvases and outer edges of each poster to create grungy, distressed look. Allow to dry completely.
7. Using emery boards, lightly re-sand edges of canvases and posters to allow some of background to show through grunge distress.
8. Apply final, thin coat of DecouPage over entire surface of canvases using same crosshatch motion with brush. Allow to dry completely.
9. Center sawtooth hangers on backs of canvases and nail into place for hanging.
10. Nail four finishing nails in wall where you want to hang artwork, measuring 9.5” vertically between each nail.